About a year ago I decided I had had enough of my dark, red and gold so five years ago Living Room. I tried do different things to change it up. I added curtains, then I added a trim on the curtains- I never liked the curtains in the first place so the trim didn't do much... took them down. I changed my pillows and that helped but I needed something else. I emailed my cousin,
Kirsten who has an amazing interior design business and is a genius with designing a room even with the tight budget. She gave me some suggestions which made all the difference.
Here are a few pictures of before and after.....
 |
Living Room BEFORE
Dark and heavy, out of style, uninviting, cold and gross. |
 |
BEFORE
You might think I am crazy but I still love that zebra chair it just didn't fit in my new living room so I made a cover for it. That way if I ever get the urge to bring it out again all I have to do is take off the cover. |
 |
AFTER
First thing I did was change up the pillows. All these pillows are for sale in my Etsy shop. I also got the idea from Kirsten to cover books with some fun paper. I bought this paper from here . I found that dragon from T.J Maxx and just had to have it. It looks great with my Chiang Mai dragon pillow in the back! I also got that flower from T. J Maxx |
 |
AFTER
Kirsten suggested we paint the walls cream. I was hesitate since I thought it would take away from the cool woodwork we have in our 1920's bungalow. We decided to do it anyway and it lightened up the room a lot. She also suggested I needed artwork and told me where to get a calendar with bird prints which you see framed in the back. One thing I added in this room that it didn't have before is a bookcase and a lamp. I feel like that made the room feel more welcoming and warm. |
 |
AFTER
Kirsten suggested I needed some type of artwork over this bookshelf and mentioned doing some type of subway art. I had this made on Etsy. It is just a few of the places Enrique and I have lived. I love how it turned out and how it adds a personal touch to our living room. We also added those bamboo shades. I love them. I love that we still have privacy but I don't have to have curtains that cover up the wood work. * Note: those bamboo shades were completely see through at night until I lined them. If you ever buy them, get them lined! |
 |
AFTER
Just another view.
This is a $60 Ikea rug that I painted. A rug this size would have cost me a fortune so for $60, you can't beat that!
Kristen also recommended I paint the black furniture I had in this room white. I painted the coffee table and side table white and it lightened up the room a lot. She also mentioned adding the mirror, glass vases and artwork in a white frame over the mantle. |
 |
AFTER
These silly little birds might be one of my favorite touches in the room. I bought them at the dollar store and they were ugly yellow and brown. I spray painted them white and I love them! |
I always thought your house was so cute before. Now its even cuter! You are amazing. What does Enrique think about stuff like this? Treagan always thinks its dumb when I want to redue stuff. He's a stinker in that way. Anyways I love it!
ReplyDeleteI love it! So cute!
ReplyDeleteAmazing!!! As always! I want to know where on Etsy you had that canvas of all the cities done... LOVE it! P.S. You're coming to NY on the 28th right!? ;P
ReplyDelete